3 December, 2013
Perfect Paleo Chicken
A few months ago, we were in Vegas and I finally bit the bullet on buying a Traeger smoker, which works great for me because:
- I suck at using a regular smoker – I can never keep the temperature constant. My ribs are tasty but tough and dry.
- I’m a techie, so I love gadgets that just work. The beauty of the Traeger is that you can pretty much set it and forget it – turn it on, set the temperature, put the meat on and don’t touch it until its done.
Couple all that with a remote thermometer and you are all set. Because the Traeger is big enough for two chickens, we usually put two in there, and they always come out succulent, every time. If you don’t have a Traeger, just drop it in the oven.
- Chicken – preferably free range
- Your favorite rub- we use our own Kansas City rub which only adds a trace amount of sugar
- Fire up the smoker or the oven to 375
- Liberally coat the chicken with the rub
- Put the remote thermometer in the chicken breast. Set it to 165
- Put chicken in smoker or oven
- Wait until the thermometer dings at 165
- Take it out and leave it to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes
- Carve and serve