5 Tips for Losing Weight on a Paleo Diet
- Cut out ALL SUGARSI know that honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and other “paleo sugars” appear in many paleo desserts, but eating foods with any type of sugar will make it harder for you to lose weight – they’re so tasty you just can’t stop eating too much of them. And because sugary foods can be very addictive I’m the sort of person who can’t have just one cookie, it’s best to give it up altogether when you’re trying to lose weight.
- Limit Nut Intake – Nuts are of course delicious and are Paleo, but they again can easily be overeaten. In particular, many Paleo desserts, breads, etc. contain a lot of nut flours. So, you could easily consume a ton of nuts without even realizing it. Limit nuts to a handful per day when you’re trying to lose weight.
- Beware of Fruits – For the most part, fruits are very nutritious and Paleo. However, some people eat way too many fruits on Paleo perhaps because fruits are sweet. Also, remember that fruit juices and for the most part dried fruits are not really Paleo and should be avoided! If you’re having trouble losing weight on Paleo, then you might want to cut back on fruits.
- Sleep at least 7 hours – Most people don’t realize just how important sleep is for losing weight! For example, a 2009 study linked shortened sleep duration to weight gain, and a 2012 study linked lack of sleep with increased hunger. I personally think that getting enough sleep every night will give you a ton of other benefits too e.g., my skin gets dramatically clearer when I continuously sleep enough, and I’m able to make better food decisions when I’m not tired.
- Don’t Forget to Exercise – Exercise is a bit of a tough one. Some exercise especially resistance training can help speed up weight loss and help you maintain muscle, but too much exercise can stress your body out too much and could potentially cause you to stall in your weight loss or could cause you to get injured and therefore make you unable to do any exercise. Mark Sisson has a great rule that you should only do 4,000 calories worth of exercise per week, which I think is good to stick to.
- Bonus: Don’t eat Too Little!That’s right, you read the heading correctly. Eating too little can stall your weight loss contrary to popular belief. Your body’s metabolism will down-regulate when you keep eating at a caloric deficit for too long. Try alternating your food intake eat more some days and less on other days.
via How to Lose Weight on a Paleo Diet.